Last year I volunteered for 3 months for a youth club in Buenos Aires, helping out with English lessons, homework and all sorts of stuff. In November I organised (and wrote) a quiz [singlepic id=42 w=160 h=120 float=left]to help raise some funds, and last week the club organised another fund-raising event and I was asked to write the questions. I’m publishing them here for your enjoyment (the answers are below in white text – highlight to see them, but no cheating!). If anybody wants to use or adapt them for another quiz, feel free. Or if you need a quiz writing, let me know!
- What is the currency of South Africa?
- Which country was founded in 1948?
- What type of animal was the first in space?
- By value, oil is the most traded product in the world what is the second?
- Which chess piece can only move diagonally?
- Who was the first president of Argentina?
- Theoretically, what is the minimum number of strokes a player needs to make to win a set at tennis?
- The Amazon river rises in which country?
- What was the name of the airplane that dropped the first atomic bomb?
- How old is current teen heartthrob, singer Justin Bieber?
- Geneva stands on which river?
- Who did Diana Spencer marry?
- On which island was Nelson Mandela imprisoned?
- What is the capital of Canada?
- Which film won the 2010 Best Movie Oscar?
- How many countries does the equator pass through?
- In which month, of which year did Neil Armstrong land on the moon?
- Which small Norwegian town hosted the 1994 Winter Olympics?
- How is Norma Jean Baker better known?
- Sebastien Loeb has been the World Champion for the last 6 years in which sport?
- Name the road-system that links Prudhoe Bay in Alaska to Ushuaia.
- True or False: Elizabeth Taylor has been married 7 times.
- The mobile phone company Nokia is from which European country?
- Who is the CEO of Apple?
- Who did Sirhan Sirhan assassinate in 1968?
- On the pH scale, what number is pure water?
- 61 is the international telephone dialling code for which country?
- In cooking, what is the main characteristic of a dish described as all’Arrabbiata?
- Vicentico is the lead singer of which Argentian group?
- Which is the largest fish in the world?
- How old was Elvis Presley when he died?
- Which are the 2 ingredients of a Screwdriver cocktail?
- In which direction can Derek Zoolander NOT turn?
- If a piece of music contains the instruction “p”, what does that mean?
- What do the letters HTML stand for?
- Which has more calories – 1 banana, 1 apple or 1 orange?
- Which South American artist is famous for painting fat people?
- Of the 30 players called by coach Diego Maradona to the preliminary squad for the 2010 World Cup, how many currently play club football in Argentina?
- In which year did Ronald Reagan take office?
- According to the 2008 US Census, which is the 3rd largest city in the USA, by population?
ROUND ONE ANSWERS
ROUND TWO ANSWERS
The Hurt Locker
12 (Sao Tome and Principe, Gabon, Republic of The Congo, Democratic Republic of The Congo, Uganda, Kenya, Somalia, Indonesia, Kiribati, Ecuador, Colombia, Brazil )
ROUND THREE ANSWERS
False (8 times to 7 husbands)
Los Fabulosos Cadillacs
10.The Whale Shark
ROUND FOUR ANSWERS
Vodka and Orange Juice
To be played quietly
HyperText Markup Language
10 (Palermo, Veron, Sosa, Mercier, Blanco, Rodriguez, Otamendi, Insaurralde, Garcé, Pozo)
10.Chicago (1. New York, 2. LA, 3. Chicago, 4. Houston, 5. Phoenix)